- What is Ride Don’t Hide?
Ride Don’t Hide is a community bike ride hosted by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), with the goal of creating awareness about the stigma surrounding mental illness. The event will take place in over 20 communities across Canada and aims to raise over $800,000 to support programs and services that strengthen and support mental health for all.
- Everyone is invited to ride! You don’t have to be an avid cyclist to participate in Ride Don’t Hide, there are different routes for all skill levels. Ride Don’t Hide is a family event and children are welcome to come out, but it is important that an appointed guardian remain with minors at all times.
- Can my child participate and ride with me?
Yes, however not all event locations have family routes. Check with your local staff to see if the event you choose accommodates young riders or children in trailers or bike carriers. If so, minors must remain with an appointed guardian at all times and are responsible for following the rules of the road. All riders must wear a helmet while riding. Children in trailers and bike carriers will need to complete a waiver.
- How can I participate?
You can register as an individual or virtual rider. As a rider, you can create and lead your own team. You can recruit friends, family and co-workers to ride as part of your team. There are also opportunities to volunteer for Ride Don’t Hide. If you are unable to join us at the event, you can contribute to the cause by donating to a registered rider, rider, team, or fund-raise on your own as a virtual rider.
- What is a “virtual rider”?
If you are not near a Ride Don’t Hide event or cannot ride at one of the community bike rides on June 22, but would like to fund-raise and support mental health for women and families, join as a virtual rider! Free registration for all ages. Register with your nearest ride location online and create your fundraising page on the website. Not near a ride location, then join as a virtual rider and CMHA will designate your funds to the nearest, appropriate branch location hosting a ride. Ask friends, family, and colleagues to donate to your fundraising goal. Get others to sign up as a virtual rider and form a virtual riding team! If you’d like to join a particular team as a virtual rider, select their ride location, search under the team name and join their team. Or go to their designated fundraising page with a shared URL link to join their team. Incentives will be rewarded to individual participants who go above and beyond with reaching certain fundraising goals.
- What is the cost to ride?
- $35 Adult and Youth Registration (includes a complimentary riding shirt)
- Free for kids 12 years & under and virtual riders of all ages (kids may order a riding shirt for $10)
- Where do I ride?
Register at your nearest ride location and create your fundraising page on the website. Ask friends, family, and colleagues to donate to your fundraising goal. Get others to sign up as a virtual rider and form a virtual riding team! If you’d like to join a particular team as a virtual rider, select their ride location, search under the team name and join their team. Or go to their designated fundraising page with a shared URL link to join their team.
- Where to donate?
- Donate to your friend, family, or colleague by choosing the ride location where they are participating. In the ride location, search for the individual’s name or team name, this will bring you to their personal fundraising page where you can support their ride.
- Or to make a general donation, Donate now and proceeds will benefit the local CMHA Branch community of your choice. You may also consider registering as a Virtual Rider to help fundraise.
- Can’t find a Ride Don’t Hide in your community?
Sign up as a virtual rider or create your own ride event in your neighbourhood with friends and family on any day you choose before June 22. You don’t have to be an avid rider to get on a bike for a leisurely scenic ride and show your support for mental health. Share your ride with us, take some pictures, and post it to our Facebook @RideDontHide. Be creative and have fun.
- How do I create my own team or join an existing team?
Check out our Team Challenge section of our website for more detailed information. Still need more info, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- What should I bring to the ride?
Come prepared! Dress appropriately and don’t forget your cycling gear, especially your helmet! Bring a water bottle and snacks to stay energized and hydrated. Check out the Rider’s Hub for information on cycling gear and training. If you don’t have a bicycle, rent a bike! Bike rentals are available in all cities and at some Ride Don’t Hide locations. Ride Don’t Hide takes place rain or shine so dress for the weather!
- How much do I need to fundraise?
There is no minimum fundraising goal required to participate in Ride Don’t Hide events. Once you register for the local ride in your community, the funds you raise through donations will directly benefit that local CMHA Branch and its mental health programs and services for women and their families in your community. Incentives will be rewarded to individual participants who go above and beyond with reaching certain fundraising goals.
- How do I fundraise?
When you sign up for Ride Don’t Hide, a personal fundraising page is automatically created for you to promote your ride and raise money. Your personal page is an online tool for your use when asking your friends and family to join your team or support you by making a donation. You have the option of personalizing your page by customizing images, text and the style of your page. A compelling personal page attracts and engages supporters and we encourage you to customize yours. Your personal campaign page is a way of expressing your commitment to the cause and personalized pages usually result in higher fundraising results! Sending and posting your personal fundraising page on social media is a great way to spread the anti-stigma message and gain support. Find out about Fundraising 101, and matching gifts in the Rider’s Hub. Incentives will be rewarded to individual participants who go above and beyond with reaching certain fundraising goals.
- How are the funds used?
Your funds are used to support and strengthen families mental health programs and services through CMHA. Your donations fund life management skills programs to help prevent mental illness and provide people with skills to live their lives to the fullest, advocacy for those affected by mental illness and public awareness activities.
- What do I use the mobile app for?
This app is free to download and due to come out soon. Before downloading, registration as a rider or virtual rider in Ride Don’t Hide is also required on the website. Participants can use this app to:
- Track donations on an individual fundraising thermometer.
- View personalized event day information like dates, times, location and map.
- Access the phone’s address books to easily send emails to friends and family.
- Connect to Facebook to share fundraising updates.
- Instantly process secure credit card or PayPal donations through the mobile web.
- Share personal page links & messages on Twitter.
- View and post messages on their message board.
- Learn more about the Canadian Mental Health Association
- Upload images from their phone photo library to their personal page
- Is my information secure?
Artez and Paypal Pro have made every effort to protect your information. They use industry-standard SSL encryption techniques to make sure your credit card information, passwords and personal information travel securely over the internet. They have also installed an encryption engine on our database server so your data is securely stored.
- How is my credit card information handled?
Credit card information is not stored in our database. During the donation process, we send your credit card information to an online processing terminal using a secure connection. The information passed back is an approval or denial for the credit card donation.
- Who do I contact if I have a question?
Please do not hesitate to contact us via email at: email@example.com with any questions or your local CMHA branch where your ride is taking place.
Download a printable PDF of the Ride Don’t Hide FAQ page to take with you and share.