Try the tips below to maximize your fundraising efforts!
These tried and true fundraising tactics, along with social networking and team-building, can help make your fundraising easier than ever.
Set your goal and share your inspiration
- Customize your personal page: Share your story and upload an inspirational photo on your personal page. Participants who personalize their personal page raise an average of 22% more than those who don’t, so compel donors to contribute by sharing your reason for joining Ride Don’t Hide.
- Send your first email: Take advantage of the amazing tools your participant centre offers! Import your email contacts, send customized messages, photos, and videos, and thank your donors. Integrate with your existing Facebook account to spread the word.
- Aim high: Strive to surpass certain milestones. The more money you raise, the more good work that gets done, and the more prizes you are eligible for. Pick a number that feels like a challenge, and go for it!
- Create a list of potential donors: Compile a list of everyone you know. The more people you ask, the more donations you are likely to receive!
- Face-to-face meeting: Asking a potential donor for a contribution in person is always more impactful. Talking with you one-on-one will allow them to experience your passion and dedication.
- Expand your giving circle: You can multiply your donations by giving additional donation forms to your family and friends who have already donated, or asking them to include a link to your personal page in their emails.
Activate your social network
- Fundraise with Facebook: If you’re not a member of Facebook yet, join! It’s an amazing tool for fundraising and team recruitment! Meet other riders in your area and check out upcoming Ride Don’t Hide events by joining Ride Don’t Hide page on Facebook.
- Fundraise with Twitter: Stay in the know with Twitter by following us @ridedonthide and using hashtag #ridedonthide. While you are at it, use your social network to tweet your personal page links and fundraising messaging.
Expand your circle
- Team up!: Send a quick email alerting friends, family and co-workers that you’ve registered for Ride Don’t Hide and invite them to join your team! Together, you’ll push each other further and have a blast while doing it.
- Bring Ride Don’t Hide to work: Encourage co-workers to contribute to or join your team by hanging a graph charting your training and fundraising progress, as well as staying stocked with plenty of donation and registration forms. Use your smart phone or computer to email, use Facebook, Linkedin or inter-office memos (get permission!) to recruit new riders and donors. Ask them to sponsor a fundraising event, publicize Ride Don’t Hide in the company newsletter, or donate to your corporate team!
- Company donation matching programs: Visit your Human Resources representative to find out if your company or employer offers donation-matching to maximize fundraising efforts. Many companies are eager to support their employees, as well as the community.
- Follow up: If you haven’t received a response from someone you’ve asked for a donation, be sure to follow up. Make a phone call or send a quick email to make sure that they haven’t forgotten your request.
- Thank your donors: It’s very important that to thank your donors as soon as possible! Once you have received a donation from someone, let them know that their contribution is important to you and that you appreciate it. Invite your donors to your ride to celebrate with everyone.
- Post-event: People love to feel acknowledged and appreciated. Express your gratitude by sending out a newsletter or email with photos and/or a video, and an additional thank you for your donors’ support.
Collecting Off-line donations
- Collect cash and cheques from friends
- Collect all necessary information for their tax receipt. Name, Address, Email
- Go online to your personal fundraising page. Click on Fundraising> Cash and Cheque Donations
- Enter all the necessary information. Please note that the donor will not receive a tax receipt unless all necessary information is complete.Tax Receipts will only be issued for donations of $20 or more and if one individual has made the donation.A tax receipt will only be sent out once CMHA has received the donation amount.
- Please enter each donation separately and bring all of the collected donations to your local Ride Don’t Hide Event. Please place them in an envelope with your name and a list of all your donor names and amounts. This will be a huge help to your local CMHA ride.